I don't know about the rest of you, but buying gifts for friends, family members and significant others can feel seemingly impossible under the stress of the holiday season, especially as our inboxes are inundated with various sales, store promotions and new product launches... where to start?!
As time is running out, we got in touch with two uniquely stylish and well-respected members of the Austin community to lend us a hand, scouring dozens of items from UO to provide their top picks for the gift-giving season this year.
First, meet San Antonio native and social butterfly Jan-Michael Ledesma, who is walking us through some of his favorite UO Men's items of the year.
Stay tuned for our UO Women's Guide with Sanetra Longno!
Hey Jan! Tell us a bit about yourself.
Hi! My name is Jan-Michael Ledesma and I’m the Brand Director for SHED Barber and Supply. I’m a Texan native and have been in Austin for 7 years, but originally raised in San Antonio. When I’m not working at our brand new shop on E. Cesar Chavez, you can find me on the green belt with my blue heeler: Indigo Roper. I’m thankful to have integrated into a very creative crowd who I can count on for support and inspiration. There’s a true sense of community here that is a reflection of diversity and hard work.
Favorite holiday tradition…
By this time of year, downtown San Antonio and the Riverwalk have been transformed into a bright and vibrant winter wonderland. It’s close enough to Bar America or The Esquire to grab a drink after catching up with friends and family while a Spurs game plays in the background.
Which items did you pick and why?
For my Urban Outfitters “Holiday Wish List” I picked items that would work in my everyday routine in East Austin. I made plans to meet up with local photographer Jose Gutierrez at neighborhood favorite Flat Track Coffee Roasters.
1. Chinatown Market x Urban Outfitters: Recordings Hoodie Sweatshirt: I’m stoked about the recent capsule collection from Chinatown Market. I’m a huge fan of designers such as Mike Cherman who are taking a very DIY approach to graphics and visual communication. This hoodie is perfect for brisk Texas mornings.
2. Adidas EQT Support 93/17 Core Sneaker: Living and working on the East Side means I’m on foot a lot. I usually have Indigo by my side, so we push some milage. I’ve been impressed with the sole technology Adidas has been implementing in their lineup recently, and you can absolutely feel the difference. The upper design also lends itself to be able wear these during my work day or meeting up with friends after.
3. Crosley Harper Wireless Speaker: It’s been so rewarding being able to experience as much live music as I have while here in Austin. The touring season never really lets up so I’m constantly trying to stay up-to-date on new music. A portable bluetooth speaker allows me to listen to my updated playlists wherever I go. I really like the minimal design that fits in nicely in any environment.
4. Basketball (and Other Things) by Shea Serrano: I’ll usually tell you about my lifelong Spurs fandom within a few minutes of meeting, but if I don’t: GO SPURS GO. This book is a great companion for any NBA fan who may be unaware of some of the more obscure stats that author Shea Serrano has discovered. Accompanied by the surreal illustrations by artist Arturo Torres, this is a really special blend of passion and research.
5. Mario Badescu Brightening Kit: I’m usually in front of an audience or in meetings so I try to not have to worry about my complexion. I’m a fan of kits like this that outline the routine for you and make it simple. Yes, dudes should be concerned with skin care as part of their routine.